Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Little N

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Little M

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 13, 2014

Weaning Recipe - Vegetable Stock

This is a very versatile stock which I love making for weaning babies - its oil free and vegetarian (for parents who don't want to intro animal proteins so early). I make batches of this (enough to last for at least a week) and freeze them using the Avent VIA cups after making them on the weekends. The stocks can be kept frozen up to 2 weeks. Idiot proof - trust me. 


The good thing about stock is you can add them to porridge or even use it as a soup base for steaming veg/meats and even that chawamushi! 


Ingredients 
1. 1/4 to 1/2 of the whole Chinese Cabbage (also known as Wong Bok) ~ the elderly says that its "liang" so you can replace this with Beijing Cabbage 
2. 3-4 stalks of celery
3. 2 large sticks of carrots 
4. 1 stick of corn 
5. 1-2 large yellow onions (depending on size of the onion) - cut into 8 quarters 
6. Tomato (optional, I only add this when baby is older)
7. Chicken/pork/beef bones (if u wan to enhance the flavor/sweetness)

Method
1. Wash and chop up the ingredients. 
2. Throw into pot and add even water to cover all the ingredients. Bring to boil. 
3. Allow to simmer for 1.5 to 2 hrs over stove or until the vegetables are "mushy". 

I don't really like to keep tabs on the stove so I will usually my trusty slow cooker. Which I will set to 4 hours. The stock comes out really nicely and I do not need to worry about the soups boiling over or "drying" up. ;) 

Have fun!

No comments: