Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Little N

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Little M

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 13, 2008

False Alarm!!!

You won't get a prize for guessing what this entry is all about. It was a costly boo-boo which also caused much excitement for both my hubby and my little sister.

My little sister took leave to keep me company while hubby is serving his national-duty (Erhm! I mean reservist ok?) on Wednesday - 10 Dec 2008. Feeling adventurous, we did quite some walking the entire day:-

- Walking to Bukit Merah Central for Mac breakfast (finally I satisfied my craving for sausage egg mac muffin);

- Retail therapy for 2 hours at the NTUC before strolling back home [Break for 3 hours and had lunch downstairs];

- Took a train to Tiong Bahru to buy my DHA pills (special one for pregnant women) then took a bus down to Chinatown market (the one near OG);

- Walked for 3 hours from shop to shop (till my sister splurged $170 on office wear);

- Walked more to the bus stop for a bus ride home.

At about 7.30pm, I noticed some cramps at my lower abdomen. During my bath, I had some bad cramps (i.e. a big pain/cramp followed by smaller ones before they disappeared) and I could actually time all these cramps. They were 8 minutes apart! Freaking out, I quickly SMSed my hubby for him to book out of camp after he was done with his out-field.

1.15am - Reached the hospital and told the nurses that I was not sure if I was indeed in labour.

1.30am - A vaginal examination (VE) was conducted. I was "effaced" and "2cm dilated" and hubby went to do the admission for me. In my heart I was thinking "Yeah!!! Baby is going to come!!!".

7.15am - It was a grueling 6hrs in the observatory ward as I couldn't get to sleep. Nurse does a final CTG check and sends me off to a labour ward.

7.30am - 2nd VE conducted. Diagnosis - I WAS STILL ONLY 2CM DILATED! (I was totally disappointed)

8.30am - Gynae came to see me. Moved me for a rest in my ward instead of staying in the labour ward room. Other than resting, he said I could do some walking and look at the babies in the nursery. After moving to the ward, I felt myself drifting off to sleep each time I lie on the bed. Guess I was just to exhausted from the wait in the observatory ward.

3.30pm - Mum and dad came to visit me. Mum was so excited because the admission people told her I have delivered already... (Well, next time she better call me to confirm)

4.30pm - Gynae's 2nd visit. Rephrasing his statement, he felt I was too relaxed (meaning no real contractions) and he was ready to send me home. I wanted to go home too. Felt so bad that I had a bed to rest while my hubby is stuck to a miserable chair.

Finally, we settled the bill (with some deduction from medisave - $450). The damage was still done - about $230? It was a lesson learnt and my gynae assured me that I should ONLY come back to the hospital when my contraction pains are real bad and real close. Even then I should have 3 hours or so before I deliver the baby. With this costly advice and feeling totally upset that I did not dilate and deliver on the same day, I decided to ignore most of the cramps that came on and off today. I really hope I do not have a cervix that doesn't open/dilate... It's another thing I have to start worrying about...

Thinking back, perhaps the whole day of walking did trigger the contractions. But still I have to thank my little sister for being there and keeping me company!

No comments: